Presenting the New Nikon Flagship: D850
- RETAIL PRICE: $3,299 (Camera Body)
- AVAILABILITY: Thursday, September 7th
- PREORDER NOW: Now accepting preorders! Come by the store, or call 510-548-6888
- Higher resolution. Faster speed. Greater versatility.
- Staggering image quality and impressive performance within reach of working photographers everywhere.
Nikon proudly introduces D850, an FX-format (full frame) DSLR unlike any before it. Combining extreme resolution with fast shooting speeds, outstanding dynamic range and one of the most exciting feature sets of any camera, D850 opens thrilling new possibilities for creators of all levels.
- Nikon-designed back-side illuminated (BSI) full-frame image sensor with no optical low-pass filter
- 45.7 megapixels of extraordinary resolution, outstanding dynamic range and virtually no risk of moiré
- Up to 9 fps continuous shooting at full resolution with full AF performance
- 8K and 4K time-lapse movies with new levels of sharpness and detail
- Tilting touchscreen, Focus Shift shooting mode, outstanding battery performance and much more
- 4K Ultra HD video recording, slow motion up to 120 FPS at 1080p
- The lowest base ISO (ISO 64) of any DSLR or mirrorless camera
D850: EXTREME RESOLUTION MEETS EXTREME SPEED
The next evolution in high resolution DSLRs, a camera that allows photographers to capture fast action in 45.7 megapixels of brilliant resolution. With remarkable advancements across the board—sensor design, autofocus, dynamic range, sensitivity, Speedlight control, battery life, shutter and mirror drive mechanisms, Silent Photography in Live-View mode, focus shift capability and more—this is quite possibly the most impressive, well-rounded DSLR yet.
- Nikon’s first back-side illuminated (BSI) full-frame sensor with no optical low-pass filter: At the heart of the D850 is a Nikon designed sensor like none before it—a back-side illuminated (BSI) FX-format full-frame CMOS image sensor with 45.7 megapixels and no optical low-pass filter. A marvel of ingenuity, it achieves extraordinary image quality, enhanced light gathering efficiency, faster data readout and truer color. And with such a dense array of pixels, there’s virtually no risk of moiré.
- Faster, richer, sharper processing: Faster than EXPEED 4, EXPEED 5 quickly processes all 45.7 megapixels of data for lower noise, wider dynamic range, subtle tonal and textural details, high-speed continuous shooting at approx. 9 fps1 and full-frame 4K UHD movie recording.
- Sensitive to every little detail: The lower the ISO, the greater the dynamic range. Like the D810 before it, the D850 has the lowest base ISO of any DSLR or mirrorless camera2—ISO 64 (expandable down to ISO 32).
- Full frame as it was meant to be: Nikon has been advancing the full frame format since the days of 35mm film photography with industry defining optics, legendary sharpness and the most impressive lens lineup available.
- NIKKOR lenses, the Gold Standard: Nikon has been setting the standard for full-frame lenses for over 80 years. Gold Ring Series NIKKOR optics are among the finest lenses available, drawing peak performance from high-resolution image sensors with stunning sharpness, edge-to-edge clarity and virtually no distortion or aberrations regardless of subject, environment or lighting conditions. The extreme resolving power of the D850, whether for stills or 4K UHD video, is brought to full power with these superb optics. To get the most from the D850 think Gold Ring. No adapter needed.
PRECISION AT EVERY TURN
Flagship autofocus, metering and fast continuous shooting
- Autofocus that keeps up: The D850 uses the same field-proven ultra-accurate AF system as the flagship D5. With 153 focus points, 99 cross-type sensors and a dedicated AF processor, the D850 delivers all of its 45.7 MP performance with NIKKOR lenses. Shoot in low light to -4 EV. Capturing the most elusive subjects will feel like second nature with the D850.
- Focus in near darkness: Autofocus down to -4 EV lets you capture in low-light situations. Suddenly, fast NIKKOR primes and zooms can handle even lower light than before.
- Greater frame coverage: 153 focus points with 99 cross-type sensors—15 of which support f/8, a must for many sports and wildlife shooters—providing 130% more frame coverage than D800/D800E or D810. Acquire and track with unwavering accuracy.
- Locked-on subject tracking: Nikon’s exclusive AF engine uses parallel processing with a sequence control microcomputer to realize high AF performance for fast-moving subjects even during high-speed shooting.
- Nuance in high resolution: With up to 7 FPS at 45.7 MP, the D850 can capture the decisive frame of a bride walking down the aisle or a fashion model’s fluid pose. For nailing the shot at a high-speed race or of A-listers on the red carpet, try using the optional MB-D18 battery pack and shoot full resolution up to 9 FPS.
- Shoot to your heart’s content: Even at 45.7 MP of resolution, the D850 captures up to 513 consecutive shots in 14-bit RAW (NEF) or up to 170 frames in 12-bit lossless compressed RAW (NEF). Hold down the shutter button and capture shot after stunning shot.
VERSATILE LIKE YOU
Performance enhancements inspired by photographer feedback
- Streamline your workflow: Seamlessly switch between RAW sizes of Large (45.7 MP), Medium (25.6 MP) and Small (11.4 MP), whichever fits your need or workflow. Save time with RAW batch processing right in the camera.
- Connect with your vision: Only an SLR camera offers a true view through the lens, making the camera an extension of your vision. The D850 has Nikon’s highest magnification optical viewfinder ever, 0.75x. See the effects of NIKKOR lenses in real time—bokeh, fisheye, perspective control and more.
- Do not disturb: When silence is golden—shooting golf, press conferences, weddings and more—turn on Silent Photography in Live View and capture without sound or mechanical vibration. In Mode 1, shoot for up to 6 FPS continuous at 45.7 MP. In Mode 2, shoot approx. 8.6-megapixel pictures in DX image area at approx. 30 FPS for up to 3 seconds.
- Tilt and touch: The tilting touchscreen LCD screen makes it easy to get the shot, even from high or low angles. Use Touch AF, Touch Shutter control and navigate menus, playback and more as if you were using a smartphone. Zoom in during Live View shooting and use the new Pinpoint AF to put focus right where you want it.
4K UHD MOVIE QUALITY IN FULL FRAME GLORY
Cinematic movie recording
- A multimedia powerhouse: Multimedia content creators rejoice. You are now free to record 16:9 4K Ultra HD (3840×2160) in full frame glory using the total width and resolution of the D850’s back-side illuminated (BSI) CMOS sensor. Take advantage of the large sensor size for clean output at high ISO and for shooting with zero crop factor with any full-frame NIKKOR lenses4, including wide and ultra-wide angle lenses.
- Slow it down: Transform dramatic moments into dazzling fluid slow-motion sequences. Record 4x (shoot at 120p, playback at 30/25p) or 5x (shoot at 120p, playback at 24p) slow-motion at 1080p.
- Quickly confirm focus: Confirm your manual focus with Focus Peaking5. Select high, medium or low sensitivity and red, yellow, blue or white highlights. Operates in manual focus mode with AF or compatible manual NIKKOR lenses.
- Touch to focus: While recording video with Live View just touch where you want to focus.
- Advanced video features for better movies: Auto ISO handles smooth lighting transitions from ISO 64 to the sensitivity of your choice (all the way up to Hi-2). Enjoy simultaneous external and internal recording, Flat Picture Control, highlight weighted metering, two selectable Zebra Stripes patterns, electronic VR (Full HD), a built-in stereo microphone with 20-step increment and attenuator adjustments and so much more.
TIME-LAPSE IN BREATHTAKING RESOLUTION
4K and 8K Ultra HD time-lapse with smooth exposure transitions
- 4K time-lapse in camera: Create entire 4K UHD time-lapse sequences right in the camera—an exclusive to Nikon DSLRs. Use Silent Live View Mode to bypass the mechanical shutter and mirror movement, saving thousands of shutter cycles and improving the D850’s already outstanding battery performance.
- 8K time-lapse using Interval Timer: Render jaw-dropping 8K time-lapse movies by shooting sequences of up to 9,999 full-size stills, again using Silent Live View Mode. Using the D850’s Interval Timer Mode allows you to capture over 8K-size images with exquisite detail for time-lapse movie6 creation. And with no shutter vibration, your sequences will be tack-sharp.
THE MOST WELL-ROUNDED NIKON YET
Next-generation features to help you perform at your peak
- Light it up: When combined with the optional WR-A10/R10 transceiver (requires firmware version 3.0 or later), the D850 can control and wirelessly fire radio controlled SB-5000 Speedlights from another room, around corners or outdoors in bright sunlight.
- Focus stacking made easy: Create images with extraordinary depth of field using Focus Shift Mode. Set focal steps from 1 to 10 for up to 300 automated shots, which get stored in a dedicated folder for easy identification when using 3rd party focus stacking software6. High resolution meets high magnification.
- Fine tune your NIKKOR lenses: Live View AF Fine Tune lets you quickly and reliably fine-tune the D850’s AF system to your specific NIKKOR lenses, optimizing sharpness and avoiding the lengthy process of trial-and-error tuning.
- Negative digitizer: Use the D850’s 45.7 MP back illuminated sensor and Live View for Stills Mode as a negative film scanner with the new optional ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter on a compatible Micro-NIKKOR lens. You can copy slides or negatives one at a time. Digitize the gems from your film days.
- Fast wireless transfers: When you’ve got a deadline, transfer speed can make all the difference. Transfer images and movie files to a PC or FTP server via wired LAN/wireless LAN using the optional WT-7 Wireless Transmitter. For tethering, Camera Control Pro 2 (optional) gives you remote control of the D850 from a PC for shooting, playback and menu operation during Live View recording.
- Control in the dark: Illuminated buttons make control easy during star-trail shoots, wedding receptions, concerts or anywhere the light is fading.
- No shortage of memory: XQD card slot easily handles the camera’s incredible high resolution files as well as burst shooting capacity and keeps the buffer cleared. SD can be used for back up, overflow or just as extra storage space.
- Built for the elements: Built with rugged magnesium alloy and carbon fiber materials, and featuring dust and water-drop resistance you’ll have peace of mind even when shooting in extreme environments.
- Phenomenal battery performance: All day shooting shouldn’t require frequent battery changes. The D850 is extremely energy efficient and can shoot approx. 1,840 shots8 at full resolution or approx. 70 minutes of video on a single charge. Even when powering external monitors and working in extreme conditions, the D850 performs brilliantly.